Friday, December 4, 2009

DECEMBER 1 - Be of Good Cheer

DECEMBER 1 - Be of Good Cheer

 

 

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. — JOHN 16:33 KJV

 

 

Whether it's alarming reports on the nightly news or the bruising pain I experience after a long day in my wheelchair, God tells me to be of good cheer. This world may trouble me, but I can take heart. Why? Christ has overcome the world. Our source of joy is always this: Christ is victorious over the world, the flesh, and the devil. This is the fountain of our happiness in this world.

 

 

Jesus Christ has done everything, first to last, that is involved in bringing you from death in sin to life in glory. Our Savior planned and achieved redemption, called and is keeping you, has justified and is sanctifying you, and will glorify you when you are finished with this world. What a cause for joy! Colossians 2:13 – 15 says, "When you were dead in your sins . . .

 

 

God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross." Did you hear that? Jesus triumphed, conquered, and overcame. He gives you power to do the same. This is why you can be joyful!

 

 

This world may get you down, you may be constantly wrestling against the devil, and your flesh may feel the crunch of older age, but be encouraged by 1 John 5:4, "For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith." Take a moment to enjoy all that Christ has done.

 

 

Stretch my faith, oh God, to be of good cheer in this dark world. Help me to remember that you are my one and only source of true joy.

_



The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.

No comments: