Wednesday, January 20, 2010

JANUARY 21- Don't Let Me Doe

JANUARY 21- Don’t Let Me Doe

 

But now, this is what the Lord says . . . , “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. . . . For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” — ISAIAH 43:1 – 3

 

Abbey Muzio is a three-year-old little girl with blonde hair and the biggest smile ever. Although a fun-loving child, she has a fear of water. If she dares stick her foot in a pool, she only does so wearing water wings, clutching her mommy’s neck and whimpering, “You won’t let me doe? Please, don’t let me doe.” Though her mother struggles to breathe in Abbey’s vise grip, she assures, “Sweetie, I won’t let you go.”

 

Life situations that have a potential for danger or disappointment can easily foster fear in our hearts. We are so like Abbey, attempting to grab God in an armlock and insisting, “Don’t let me doe!” Rather than fear, we need to have faith; Isaiah 43 is a beautiful picture of God’s provision in the midst of trouble. Jesus himself said in John 10:28, “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.” God has a vise grip on us . . . he has the eternal security of our souls in an armlock. He will never, ever let you go!

 

Abbey’s mother told me, “I wish Abbey would simply relax and trust me. I don’t want her to be afraid; I want her to have fun in the water. She needs to realize that my hold on her is more secure than any grip she has on me.” It’s a lesson about God we all need to learn.

 

Lord Jesus, thank you for the promises in your Word, which chase away fears that overwhelm. I trust you with scary life situations. Thank you for holding me tight.

 

No comments: