Monday, November 2, 2009

NOVEMBER 2 - When in Pain

NOVEMBER 2 - When in Pain

 

 

Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope. My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life. — PSALM 119:49 – 50

 

 

My heart goes out to people who suffer with physical pain.

 

 

Oh, how hope is needed! Michael wrote, "Two years ago, tumors were pinching my sciatic nerve, and I was forced to my knees in tears. I couldn't stand the pain anymore. I shut myself in a room, lay on the floor, and shouted to the Lord, 'I am not leaving here until you do something. Kill me, heal me, but don't let me suffer like this!!!' It was a little later, and then I heard a still small voice, 'Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid' " (John 14:27).

 

 

Michael was encouraged by John 14:27 because when God gives peace, he is imparting a sense of the presence of the Prince of Peace, his Son, Jesus. Michael can endure almost anything, as long as he knows Jesus is "laying on the floor" with him. And as Psalm 119:49 assures, God's comfort envelops Michael every time he remembers a promise like that from the Word.

 

 

I can identify. For me, when the pain doesn't go away, I'm quick to remember promises like John 14:27. My comfort in my suffering is this: the promise of God's presence preserves my life. Just knowing he's "with me," gives me peace, hope, and comfort. It sees me through.

 

 

Meditate on today's verse. Think of God's promises you know from Scripture. How do they preserve your life, especially when you are suffering physical or emotional pain?

 

 

Lord Jesus, thank you for giving me your peace when I hurt. Bless you for the hope and comfort I always find in you. Every single one of your promises preserves my life — I could not survive without your precious Word sustaining me every moment.



Connect more, do more and share more with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn more.

No comments: