Saturday, October 18, 2008

SHRI M.B. REGE'S RARE LETTER ON RADHAKRISHNA AYEE - Part 2


SHRI M.B. REGE'S RARE LETTER ON RADHAKRISHNA AYEE - Part 2


In December 1914, the late Sri P.R. Avasthi went with me to Shirdi. He had taken `Guru Mantra' from a woman saint in his young days and did not know whether she was living or dead. Sri H.S. Dixit was his friend and wanted him to go for darshan of Baba; but Sri Avasthi thought that it would be `Guru droha' (faithlessness towards his Guru). When he came to know of my association with the Master, he spoke of his state of mind. He was then the District Judge, Indore, and I was Civil Judge under him. I told him that Baba was a Superb Guru – one with God – and he agreed to accompany me provided I took on the responsibility. We went and Baba asked me who was this `Pissat' (crazy man) with me. Sri Avasthi was excited. Next day the mother tied four mogra flowers together and handing them to me said, `Take this to the Master and ask Him to unravel it.' Baba smelt the flowers and returned them with a message for mother Radhakrishna that she should do it. In the mean while Sri Avasthi had a brain wave. He made a small ball (pindam) of rice out of the Naivedya offering unknown to us and decided that if Baba accepted the Pindam, he would conclude that his Guru was no more and taking Baba as Guru would not be Guru droha. I was with him when he went to the Masjid with Naivedyam and the Pinda in his hand under the plate. Baba said `Give it to me'. He took the pindam, smelt it and said `It has reached its place'. We returned to mother's house and from the door, Sri Avasthi rushed to her and fell at her feet singing spontaneous verses for about half an hour unconscious of things around him. The mother was also in a trance. Later Sri Avasthi told me that in place of mother Radhakrishna he had seen his first Guru.


In 1914, I was doubtful about my ability to attend the Guru Poornima. The food was used to be cooked in mother's house, but she said that if I was not there, it had better be cooked elsewhere. On the Guru Poornma day, she got an extra quota from Baba's `Bhiksha'. She then announced that I was coming and the cooking started. I reached at about 9 a.m. They wanted a stone to pound the spices (masala). The step leading to the house was considered good and mother and I moved it with some difficulty. Just as it was in the door frame, a devotee Sri Purandare came up and wanted to help. The stone turned and itmight have crushed my hand but the mother pulled it towards herself and the index finger of her right hand was crushed into two. You can imagine her agony; but as if nothing had happened, she soaked a rag in oil and wrapping the bleeding finger, went on to help in cooking. Only after all was over, she called me and said she was feeling the pain and would like to go to the jungle and cry. We went and for half an hour she did cry. Then we came back for our normal work. What control over the body and indifference to pleasure and pain in the service of the Master!


I know nothing about her condition which resulted in her death. In fact myself and my wife – now no more – were with her for some days, two months prior to her end and did not notice signs of her pregnancy. May be because we looked up to her and not to hercondition. Perhaps because I did not meet villagers or outsiders – I heard no scandal too. The first intimation I heard was in a letter I got from Narvekar intimating that mother had passed away in childbed.


In my last letter I recollect having mentioned the incident of Baba coming from the Lendi when, after washing the floor of the Masjid, the mother was in a trance, and Baba stroked her on her back and asked her not to worry.


Two months after mother passed away, I went to Shirdi and not knowing where I should stay, went straight to the Masjid. Baba told me to go to Dixit Wada. Sri Madhavrao Deshpande and many others came and offered a sort of condolence. `This should not have happened in Shirdi', they said. I replied that I did not desire to discuss the matter. She was my mother and I said, even if she be in the wrong, I would remain quiet comforted by Lord Sri Krishna's view in the Bhagavad Gita –

Api chet Suduracharo Bhajate mam Anany Bhak
Sadhu reva sa mantavyah samyag Vyavassito hi Sah. (Chapter 9-30).


(This means, "Even the most wicked, if he concentrates on or worship Me the Lord, then he must be deemed a sadhu or a good person".)


While this talk was going on, a message came from the Masjid asking all sitting with me in the wada to come over. We went and Baba asked Sri Deshpande what they were talking about. Baba further asked what I had said, and when the information was given, the merciful Master said, `What do these fools know? She was your mother and mine. She wanted to be freed from her karma and you know I gave her my assurance. One night she came saying she would not wait and, lifting up my kupni, got in here (pointing to His Heart). You will see her here when you desire'. My Divine mother is now merged in the Master. Let people in their own way imagine what they will. I cannot forget what I owe to Her.


I have tried to give you my first hand impressions of her. Of the devotees, Sri Mahlsapathi, Sri H.S. Dixit had great reverence for her, and I feel I am in good company. I trust you will have a fair idea of the greatness of my mother. I leave it to you to take out of my statement the parts you consider useful for your Ananda Vikatan.

I have written the above in installments. The cramps in my fingers make it difficult to clearly decipher the writing, but I would rather send this than a typed copy.

With kindest regards and best wishes,


I am,
Ever yours,
At the feet
of the Master,


M.B. Rege.


(Courtesy: Sai Sudha, Golden Jubilee Issue – June 1990, All India Sai Samaj (Regd), Chennai-600004, India)

No comments: