Saturday, October 18, 2008

HANG ON !!! – God would solve the unsolvable.

HANG ON !!! – God would solve the unsolvable.
-Marie Firster


Once my troubles were so overpowering that I feared the present and future, I thought my spirit would break. My mental state rendered me helpless to turn to God. The spiritual side of my life seemed to be a vacuum. I felt like job, who experienced all the pitfalls that beset mankind. But, in patience, I was unlike him. Herein lies a moral. Nagg on!


Since then, I have witnessed or been made aware of situations where people gave up a job, a mate, a solution, or a cure was just around the corner.


At that time my problems seemed so overwhelming that I felt separated from God's grace and I started to give up. So you see, this was my lesson; I needed to learn to hang on. Then something happened.


My two children were delighted with a tiny turtle, Turby, I had bought. We kept in a bowl of water with few stones on the kitchen window sill.


When we went to their grandparent's home for a few days it unexpectedly turned cold.


Upon returning home, the children immediately ran to the kitchen to see Turby. Their screams attracted me, and I too, was shocked at what I saw. About two inches from the top of the bowl, the water had frozen and Turby was partly encased in ice. His feet were in the water and he stood on tiptoe upon one of the stones so his head would stretch above the ice.


His whole body was twisted unturtle-like, his head thrown back in order to breathe.


Was he alive? What was I to do? I must get him out of there. Cautiously I broke the bowl and help the piece of ice in which Turby was entombed. Gently and carefully I thawed the ice by running warm water over it. His legs and head did not move. Slowly the ice melted, and Turby, lying in my hand, siggled ever so slightly. As the children shouted with delight, I put him into a bowl of warm water. Finally he began to swim as though he was grateful to be alive. Well, he had earned it. He had hung on!


I relate this to my life and realized how much better Turby had handled his problem. the turtle had surpassed me, I felt ashamed. There he was, so little and brave, and here I was with a greater capacity and more potential and I had chosen to give up.


The incident brought me to my senses, I could not turn to God and "let go and let God". Now God would solve the unsolvable.


I decided I would never again allow myself to dwell so much on my troubles. Because of Turby's near tragedy, I shall always remember to press on, no matter how things seem, and my spirits will be lifted as they were the day a courageous turtle taught me never to give up. I am grateful, and I shall always, always, hang on.

(Courtesy: East and West Series – August 2001)

No comments: