Wednesday, June 10, 2009

GREAT PRAYER QUOTES - 6

We have wasted our spirit in the regions of the abstract and general just as the monks let it wither in the world of prayer and contemplation. - Alexander Herzen

We must not sit still and look for miracles; up and doing, and the Lord will be with thee. Prayer and pains, through faith in Christ Jesus, will do anything. - George Eliot

We should not permit prayer to be taken out of the schools; that's the only way most of us got through. - Sam Levenson

We spend millions of dollars per year supplying more than adequate meals and a Koran to every detainee along with a prayer rug that meets their religious standards. - Bill Shuster

Well the basic thesis is that there's a god in heaven who is all powerful who wants to help people. And that - he will answer prayer, and does miraculous things in people's lives. And so I've documented some of these wonderful things. - Pat Robertson

What most of all hinders heavenly consolation is that you are too slow in turning yourself to prayer. - Thomas Kempis

Whatever a person may pray for, that person prays for a miracle. Every prayer comes down to this - Almighty God, grant that two times two not equal four. - Ivan Turgenev

When about fifteen I once made a great scandal by taking out my knife in prayer meeting and assaulting a young man who, while I was kneeling down during the prayer, stood above me and squeezed my neck. - Simon Newcomb

When I have had such men before my camera my whole soul has endeavored to do its duty towards them in recording faithfully the greatness of the inner as well as the features of the outer man. The photograph thus taken has been almost the embodiment of a prayer. - Julia Margaret Cameron

When I was a kid, I'd kneel down at the side of my bed every night before I went to sleep, and my mother and I would say a Greek prayer to the Virgin Mary. - Olympia Dukakis

When prayer removes distrust and doubt and enters the field of mental certainty, it becomes faith; and the universe is built on faith. - Ernest Holmes

When the fire of prayer goes out, the barrenness of busyness takes over. - George Carey

When you cease from labour, fill up your time in reading, meditation, and prayer: and while your hands are labouring, let your heart be employed, as much as possible, in divine thoughts. - David Brainerd

When you lie down with a short prayer, commit yourself into the hands of your Creator; and when you have done so, trust Him with yourself, as you must do when you are dying. - Jeremy Taylor

Whether the prayer of Seneca was granted we do not know; but, as we do not again hear of Marcus, it is probable that he died before his father, and that the line of Seneca, like that of so many great men, became extinct in the second generation. - Frederic William Farrar

No comments: